I know it has been a while and I wanted to share with you a few things that have been happening.
First, thank you to all of those who reached out before, during and after Hurricane Irma. The eye of the storm went right over our house and town, however, the Lord protected us. Nothing happened. Yes, we had the hard winds and pelting rain. The power flickered once or twice but stayed on. No fallen trees or limbs came crashing down. My waterfront rental property is prone to flooding and the water didn’t even breach the sea wall there. I thank God for His mercy and protection. Thank you again for all your prayers and thoughts!
I spent the summer with my wife and kids in Ecuador right on the Pacific Ocean in a beachfront condo. Two months away from home was a long time but so well worth it. Doreen and I found an orphanage to help at and our hearts are forever changed. So much so that we are going back for a full two years starting in December just 3 months away.
You might think we are crazy but really… We have found such joy and freedom to downsize, sell off the cars, give away tools to pressure washers and put our home up on VRBO and truly begin to live the Lap Top Lifestyle.
Here are a few of my tips to downsize, live your dreams and truly have a Laptop Lifestyle.
1. Watch the movie called the Minimalist. You can find it on Netflix. Doreen and I didn’t realize how much stuff we actually had. Mind you… we didn’t do everything in one weekend but we began a little at a time. For us, we may not be able to get all the way to that extreme but we are going to put a huge dent in getting there.
2. Pray and ask God what you need to give away and what you need to sell.
3. Whiteboard what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.
4. Pick a place where you want to live for the next few months or year or two.
5. Look for additional streams of income that bring you happiness. For me and Doreen, we have a few and do not rely upon just one. For Doreen, she is a Board Certified Holistic Health Practitioner. She has her health coaching practice. For me, I have my real estate investing and also my real estate coaching courses. We also chose to enter something we made a vow never ever to do… which was a stupid vow based on self-limited beliefs and also presented by those who treated their business like a hobby…. hold on and be open-minded for just a minute. This extra stream of income brings us in a 6 figure income in less than 12 months from starting it. FYI… We had never given this type of business a go before. Yup… it is a Network Marketing business. We made it to the top 20 in our company worldwide in less than 15 months. The secret here is that we treated it like a business and not a hobby. Find the right company to align yourself with so it is a natural fit that you can easily share with others.
6. Create a budget and pay off as much debt as you can. Doreen and I white boarded our budget showing your income and expenses and made up a list of expenses for us to pay to make the move to Ecuador. This included attorney fees to visa fees to extra suitcase fees for us to take extra supplies when we make the move. Good bed pillows, linens, and bath towels are hard to find down there so these things are on our list.
7. Go through your closet and pitch out what you haven’t worn in the past 6 months. I am taking two nice expensive shirts, 6 of my favorite t-shirts and two Polo style shirts and two sweatshirts and one jacket. Two pairs of jeans and one pair of khakis. Four running shorts. Four workout shirts. Four Bermuda/Billabong shorts. Two board shorts/swim trunks. Two pairs of running shoes. Two pairs of flip-flops and one nice pair of casual shoes. Hello, people… we have a washer and a dryer at our condo there. FYI… cost of living is super cheap. Our 3 bed, 3 bath condo right on the beach is only $850 per month. Our VBRO rental will bring in $3K per month.
So here is just a sampling of what we are doing and how we are going to do it. It is a lot easier than you think. We took our 25-year-old son and a 17-year-old daughter with us for the summer. They complained at first but when it came time to leave, neither one wanted to leave Ecuador and both are coming with us for the two years to live the Laptop Lifestyle and to serve others.
Sounds like a cool adventure doesn’t it?
What kind of adventure do you want to live?
I have got a free four-part video series to help you get started. Each video is less than 5 minutes long.
If you want it, Click here now ==> to get it!
Leave a comment and let me know that you stopped by.